• Create BookmarkCreate Bookmark
  • Create Note or TagCreate Note or Tag
  • PrintPrint

Solution

On your homepage portal, establish and reinforce the value of your site with a strong, clearly stated promise that is fulfilled on every page of the site. Dedicate 95 percent of the area and links above the fold to the visitor groups that comprise 95 percent of the total visitor population. Keep the remaining area and links for visitor groups that make up the remaining 5 percent. Use additional links in the footer of the homepage to make explicit links for each group, including those in the 5 percent category. Build a homepage layout that provides strong cues to define navigation and content, and that downloads quickly. Test your homepage design to ensure that you have created the right look and feel—one that seduces visitors with content, regardless of whether it is personalized.

Figure C1.5. Sketch out strong first impressions of your homepage with compelling titles and logos, and simple navigation.



PREVIEW

                                                                          

Not a subscriber?

Start A Free Trial


  
  • Creative Edge
  • Create BookmarkCreate Bookmark
  • Create Note or TagCreate Note or Tag
  • PrintPrint