• Create BookmarkCreate Bookmark
  • Create Note or TagCreate Note or Tag
  • PrintPrint
Share this Page URL
Help

Preface > Assumptions of This Book

Assumptions of This Book

This book assumes a basic familiarity with the technical components of the Web. Throughout the book I’ve included descriptions of the events that occur in a typical HTTP operation. There are also references in the text and the appendixes to other books and web sites for those who need more background or want to explore a subject in more depth.

The server examples are drawn from the Unix world because about 75 percent of all web servers use a Unix operating system or clone, and an even higher percentage of commercial web sites use Unix. Most of the other 25 percent are Windows-based web servers, so I tried to include more information about Windows in this edition. I’ve assumed that the reader has some programming experience with either C, Java, or Perl, but this is not a requirement for using this book.


PREVIEW

                                                                          

Not a subscriber?

Start A Free Trial


  
  • Creative Edge
  • Create BookmarkCreate Bookmark
  • Create Note or TagCreate Note or Tag
  • PrintPrint