Share this Page URL

Chapter 19. Roll, Roll, Roll It Over > Places for Rollovers - Pg. 191

Roll, Roll, Roll It Over 191 If you're rolling over both pre-tax and after-tax money, you need to be sure that your IRA provider can handle the separate accounting that's required. Otherwise, you may have to establish two ac- counts--one for the pre-tax money and all the earnings, and another for your after-tax contributions. Leaving It All Behind: How Do You Decide? Should you leave your money with your old employer? Or should you roll it over? Unfortunately, the answer is, "It depends." There's no simple answer that applies in all situations. Here's when you might want to leave your money in your old employer's plan instead of using a rollover (remember, the amount must generally be more than $5,000): · You've made after-tax contributions. You might as well leave them with your old employer's plan at least until 2002, because you can't roll them over before then. · You have an outstanding loan, and your former employer lets you leave the loan outstanding and continue to make loan repayments. If your employer offers this option, count your blessings --it's extremely rare for employers to be so generous. · You like the investment options in your old employer's plan. · Your old employer's plan does not charge an annual maintenance fee. (A roll-over IRA or new employer's plan might have such a fee.) · You're unsure about your new employer's future or yours, as might be the case with a start-up company. · You just don't know what to do. Here's when you might want to roll over your accounts, instead of leaving them in your old employer's plan: